April 29, 2015

Sewing night at Louises'

As usual, a creative evening at Louises where coconut cakes and macaroons were eaten, blanquette drunk. It was good:) Erm, spot the bum?

I had a heart full of song as Max had given me a boxed set - virgin, unused - of opera records from 1956. I had started on Carmen before going out and realised what a treasure he had parted with. Each opera is complete and unexpurgated.  The sound is amazing. I had forgotten pre digital. In my study is a decent record player and nice speakers - they were a gift from R.B. Kitaj, actually, not that I'm braging, much -  so impressed with the sound that you are invited round to listen. Get in touch if you want a seat; tomorrow its Carmen, after that its Faust by Gounod (as and when), thereafter Rigoletto, Il Travatore and La Traviata - by the man my mother insisted on calling Joe Green. 

Saw Roy and Jo today, Roy is on the mend, mercifully. Saw Andree who was good enough to call the garage in Toulouse that had rescued our broken van. It seems it's not really broken, it is in fact dead. This van is no more.
Anyone got a cheap van for sale?

Lovely day, that aside: saw many other friends and actually got some work done between times. Took me a while to get going on account of Maxs' corrupting influence the evening before.
And my neighbours, Jeanette and Louis are back from the cote d'azur, looking marvellous but sad that their old English Setter has died - diabetes got him.

Sweet story; was standing in the 8 a 8 paying for my shopping when I noticed a bloke standing in the square with his arms wide open apparently addressing a plane tree. On pointing this out to the proprietor Alain, he replied that the man would be unlikey to get a response. The man leant forward and kissed the tree. Voila! He's kissing it, I said.
Alain didn' miss a beat. 'welcome to Esperaza', he said.


 Advance notice!!! Poulet-Bicyclette opening on May 1st with a disco... no doubt doing the funky chicken. Sigh. Be great to have them back though, a sure sign of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment