October 12, 2014

Sunday....

 Young Etienne continues to prosper, getting plumper by the second. Hes adorably good company, begining to engage and curious about everything. Including himself now.

The market was small, lots of traders off in other paradises. There was a vide-grenier in Couiza that I didnt get to; Bob left for London today; l went to the mountain and photographed figs; also went to the church and snapped the window that commemorates the first european war.

The list of the dead is long. Our little commune was hard hit. Was thinking of my great-uncle, a much-loved gentle hearted man, perceptive and intuitively kind. He was in this war, fighting on the Somme. He told me about it as he smoked his pipe one night, his eyes twinkling. He's been sent out to no-mans-land to check on enemy movements and he was wriggling along as the dawn came up. He said, I was ashamed to be on my belly like a worm in the face of the dawn. So I stood up. [lit pipe, puff puff] And they shot me.
He was hospitalised, patched up, returned. Lived to be over 100 years old, full of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment